Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.6% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC market declined by 1,457 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.6%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Hickory-Lenoir-Morganton, NC unemployment rate is 19 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 9.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.3% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 42,600; +400
- Transportation & Utilities: 31,500; +100
- Government: 21,700; +1,300
- Education & Healthcare: 19,200; +100
- Business Services: 14,500; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 12,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 5,400; +100
- Other Jobs: 4,800; no change
- Financial Services: 3,100; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.