Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 11,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT market rose by 4,435 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Hartford-West Hartford-East Hartford, CT unemployment rate is 48 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 4.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.7% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 109,800; +1,400
- Government: 90,800; +11,600
- Transportation & Utilities: 90,000; +1,900
- Business Services: 77,000; -100
- Manufacturing: 56,500; -200
- Financial Services: 50,700; -600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 46,700; -3,600
- Construction, Mining: 21,700; -200
- Other Jobs: 20,600; -900
- IT & Development: 8,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.