Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 2,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA market rose by 1 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 110 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA unemployment rate is 52 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 190 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 7.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.3%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 80,800; +700
- Education & Healthcare: 63,900; +1,000
- Government: 57,700; +1,400
- Business Services: 52,000; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 30,600; -2,800
- Manufacturing: 23,200; +100
- Financial Services: 20,600; no change
- Other Jobs: 14,200; -300
- Construction, Mining: 12,700; -200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.