Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.7% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 1,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA market rose by 2,638 jobs in October and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 2.7%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA unemployment rate is 70 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 7.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 82,200; +1,400
- Education & Healthcare: 64,100; +800
- Government: 57,600; -100
- Business Services: 53,100; +1,100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 30,500; no change
- Manufacturing: 23,100; no change
- Financial Services: 20,700; +100
- Other Jobs: 14,300; +100
- Construction, Mining: 12,600; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.