Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.3% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA market rose by 4,449 jobs in May and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA unemployment rate is 8 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 230 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 3.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 79,600; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 63,300; -500
- Government: 57,300; -300
- Business Services: 51,900; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 31,400; +1,800
- Manufacturing: 22,900; +200
- Financial Services: 20,300; -100
- Other Jobs: 14,400; +100
- Construction, Mining: 12,500; +500
- IT & Development: 3,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.