Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 1,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA market rose by 2,962 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA unemployment rate is 12 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 220 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 7.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 80,700; +400
- Education & Healthcare: 62,200; -700
- Government: 55,900; -500
- Business Services: 53,400; +1,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 33,900; +1,100
- Manufacturing: 23,200; no change
- Financial Services: 20,500; +100
- Other Jobs: 14,700; +200
- Construction, Mining: 12,900; +100
- IT & Development: 3,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.