Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA market rose by 2,744 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Harrisburg-Carlisle, PA unemployment rate is 24 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 270 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 2.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 79,600; +1,200
- Education & Healthcare: 62,500; +1,300
- Government: 56,900; +1,200
- Business Services: 50,000; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 26,300; +1,100
- Manufacturing: 22,300; +200
- Financial Services: 20,600; no change
- Other Jobs: 14,200; +100
- Construction, Mining: 11,200; no change
- IT & Development: 3,400; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.