Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV market declined by 122 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV unemployment rate is 0 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 40 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 7.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,900; +300
- Government: 17,800; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 16,100; +300
- Business Services: 10,800; -100
- Manufacturing: 10,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.