Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.1% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV market rose by 1,515 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 100 bps to 4.1%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV unemployment rate is 26 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,500; +100
- Government: 17,600; -300
- Education & Healthcare: 15,400; -100
- Business Services: 10,700; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,200; +300
- Manufacturing: 10,000; no change
- Financial Services: 4,700; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,400; +100
- Other Jobs: 2,900; +100
- IT & Development: 1,500; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.