Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.7% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV market declined by 430 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV unemployment rate is 44 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 170 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 5.2% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,600; -200
- Government: 17,300; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 15,300; +100
- Business Services: 10,800; -100
- Manufacturing: 9,900; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 9,100; +200
- Financial Services: 4,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,000; -100
- Other Jobs: 2,800; no change
- IT & Development: 1,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.