Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV market declined by 1,404 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV unemployment rate is 11 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 7.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.5%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,300; no change
- Government: 17,000; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 15,500; no change
- Business Services: 11,200; -200
- Manufacturing: 10,200; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,100; -100
- Financial Services: 4,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,300; -100
- Other Jobs: 2,900; no change
- IT & Development: 1,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.