Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS market declined by 480 jobs in October and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS unemployment rate is 0 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in October versus prior month by -1.0% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 35,500; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 31,500; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,200; -100
- Manufacturing: 18,100; no change
- Business Services: 16,800; -400
- Education & Healthcare: 12,900; +200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.