Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS market rose by 569 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 4.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS unemployment rate is 66 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 270 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in June versus prior month by -2.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 35,100; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 31,500; +700
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,500; -100
- Manufacturing: 18,200; -200
- Business Services: 17,500; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 12,300; -100
- Construction, Mining: 8,500; +200
- Other Jobs: 5,300; no change
- Financial Services: 5,200; no change
- IT & Development: 1,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.