Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.4% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS market rose by 590 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Gulfport-Biloxi-Pascagoula, MS unemployment rate is 62 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in July versus prior month by -3.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.7%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 34,900; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 31,300; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,000; -400
- Manufacturing: 18,200; -100
- Business Services: 17,200; -300
- Education & Healthcare: 12,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 8,300; -100
- Other Jobs: 5,300; no change
- Financial Services: 5,100; -100
- IT & Development: 1,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.