Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 1,900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI market rose by 2,879 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI unemployment rate is 34 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 7.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.0% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 111,000; +900
- Transportation & Utilities: 99,400; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 94,200; +1,100
- Business Services: 73,600; +1,900
- Government: 48,200; +600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 43,700; +300
- Financial Services: 27,000; +200
- Construction, Mining: 25,100; no change
- Other Jobs: 22,000; +100
- IT & Development: 6,400; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.