Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI market rose by 468 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Grand Rapids-Wyoming, MI unemployment rate is 39 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 5.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 114,400; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 103,500; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 92,500; -500
- Business Services: 75,400; +800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 48,600; -300
- Government: 43,600; +1,500
- Construction, Mining: 28,900; +200
- Financial Services: 27,500; -400
- Other Jobs: 22,800; -100
- IT & Development: 6,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.