Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.1% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Fort Smith, AR-OK market declined by 146 jobs in May and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Fort Smith, AR-OK unemployment rate is 28 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 12.3% and are equal compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 23,900; -300
- Manufacturing: 18,100; +200
- Government: 18,000; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 16,400; -300
- Business Services: 11,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 9,800; +300
- Construction, Mining: 5,200; +100
- Other Jobs: 4,400; +100
- Financial Services: 3,900; +100
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.