Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Evansville, IN-KY market declined by 1,528 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Evansville, IN-KY unemployment rate is 89 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 30 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 7.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 30,900; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 28,800; +100
- Manufacturing: 22,400; no change
- Business Services: 20,600; +400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 16,100; +200
- Government: 15,500; +500
- Construction, Mining: 9,200; -100
- Other Jobs: 6,900; -100
- Financial Services: 6,100; no change
- IT & Development: 1,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.