Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.0% with the biggest shift in Manufacturing, which lost 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Elkhart-Goshen, IN market declined by 1,736 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Elkhart-Goshen, IN unemployment rate is 132 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is equal to the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 10.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.3%. Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 76,400; -1,000
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,600; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 11,800; no change
- Business Services: 10,800; -100
- Government: 8,500; +800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,100; -100
- Other Jobs: 4,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,200; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.