Overall unemployment rate moved up to 1.8% with the biggest shift in Manufacturing, which gained 900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Elkhart-Goshen, IN market rose by 1,588 jobs in March and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 1.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Elkhart-Goshen, IN unemployment rate is 195 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 19.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 78,100; +900
- Transportation & Utilities: 21,500; +700
- Education & Healthcare: 11,500; no change
- Business Services: 10,900; no change
- Government: 8,500; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 6,800; +200
- Other Jobs: 4,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,900; no change
- Financial Services: 2,800; no change
- IT & Development: 400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.