Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.7% with the biggest shift in Manufacturing, which lost 1,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Elkhart-Goshen, IN market declined by 813 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 2.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Elkhart-Goshen, IN unemployment rate is 108 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 20 bps above the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a negative.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 18.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -2.1%. Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 77,800; -1,400
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,400; -200
- Education & Healthcare: 11,700; -100
- Business Services: 10,900; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,100; -100
- Government: 7,000; -1,300
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,300; no change
- Financial Services: 2,900; no change
- IT & Development: 400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.