Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.5% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Elkhart-Goshen, IN market declined by 1,676 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.5%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Elkhart-Goshen, IN unemployment rate is 129 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 30 bps above the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a negative.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 12.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 77,700; -400
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,500; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 11,800; +100
- Business Services: 10,900; no change
- Government: 7,700; +700
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,300; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,300; -100
- Financial Services: 2,900; no change
- IT & Development: 400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.