Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Duluth, MN-WI market rose by 938 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Duluth, MN-WI unemployment rate is 92 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 4.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 31,200; +300
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,200; -500
- Government: 23,400; +1,500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,700; -400
- Construction, Mining: 11,600; no change
- Business Services: 8,400; -100
- Manufacturing: 8,400; -100
- Other Jobs: 6,000; -100
- Financial Services: 5,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.