Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Duluth, MN-WI market declined by 634 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Duluth, MN-WI unemployment rate is 98 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.5%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 30,700; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,600; +100
- Government: 22,400; -1,600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,200; +300
- Construction, Mining: 11,700; +300
- Manufacturing: 8,500; +100
- Business Services: 8,400; no change
- Other Jobs: 6,100; no change
- Financial Services: 5,000; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.