Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Duluth, MN-WI market declined by 764 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Duluth, MN-WI unemployment rate is 89 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 2.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 30,900; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 24,600; no change
- Government: 21,900; -400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,100; -100
- Construction, Mining: 11,600; no change
- Manufacturing: 8,500; no change
- Business Services: 8,400; no change
- Other Jobs: 6,000; -100
- Financial Services: 5,000; no change
- IT & Development: 1,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.