Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 4,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI market declined by 131 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI unemployment rate is 10 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 170 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 404,600; +4,600
- Transportation & Utilities: 385,300; +4,600
- Education & Healthcare: 303,000; +2,900
- Manufacturing: 254,400; -1,400
- Government: 189,300; +2,100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 178,500; +1,700
- Financial Services: 130,500; -700
- Construction, Mining: 85,500; -300
- Other Jobs: 71,800; -100
- IT & Development: 28,500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.