Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.6% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 9,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI market rose by 23,686 jobs in June and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Detroit-Warren-Dearborn, MI unemployment rate is 76 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 270 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 8.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.6% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 404,400; +7,500
- Transportation & Utilities: 384,300; +2,800
- Education & Healthcare: 301,900; +200
- Manufacturing: 255,300; +6,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 186,200; +9,000
- Government: 183,900; -600
- Financial Services: 132,700; +4,100
- Construction, Mining: 84,300; +1,500
- Other Jobs: 72,800; +1,000
- IT & Development: 28,000; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.