Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which gained 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Decatur, AL market declined by 6 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Decatur, AL unemployment rate is 104 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in June versus prior month by -11.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 13,400; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 10,800; +100
- Government: 9,100; +100
- Business Services: 5,900; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,100; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 4,900; +100
- Construction, Mining: 4,400; no change
- Other Jobs: 2,300; no change
- Financial Services: 2,200; no change
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.