Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Columbus, GA-AL market rose by 234 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Columbus, GA-AL unemployment rate is 2 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 70 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 2.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 23,300; +300
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,100; -300
- Education & Healthcare: 17,000; +200
- Business Services: 16,800; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,300; -500
- Financial Services: 10,900; -100
- Manufacturing: 10,000; -100
- Construction, Mining: 4,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.