Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Columbus, GA-AL market declined by 753 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Columbus, GA-AL unemployment rate is 6 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 140 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 0.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 23,200; -200
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,400; no change
- Business Services: 16,700; -200
- Education & Healthcare: 16,500; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 16,000; +300
- Financial Services: 11,000; no change
- Manufacturing: 10,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,200; +100
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.