Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.6% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Columbus, GA-AL market rose by 442 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 3.6%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Columbus, GA-AL unemployment rate is 18 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 4.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 23,000; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,400; -100
- Business Services: 16,800; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 16,600; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 16,100; +100
- Financial Services: 11,000; no change
- Manufacturing: 10,200; +100
- Construction, Mining: 4,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,100; -100
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.