Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Columbus, GA-AL market declined by 998 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Columbus, GA-AL unemployment rate is 11 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 80 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 1.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.2%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 22,800; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,400; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 16,800; +200
- Business Services: 16,800; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,900; -100
- Financial Services: 11,000; no change
- Manufacturing: 10,200; -100
- Construction, Mining: 4,800; +100
- Other Jobs: 4,100; no change
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.