Overall unemployment rate moved up to 6.0% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 5,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Cleveland-Elyria, OH market rose by 13,564 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 6.0%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Cleveland-Elyria, OH unemployment rate is 216 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 7.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 192,900; -3,100
- Transportation & Utilities: 187,900; +500
- Business Services: 162,700; +1,400
- Government: 133,800; -1,300
- Manufacturing: 118,900; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 106,900; +5,500
- Financial Services: 67,500; -1,100
- Construction, Mining: 41,700; +900
- Other Jobs: 41,600; +800
- IT & Development: 14,000; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.