Overall unemployment rate moved down to 5.2% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 3,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Cleveland-Elyria, OH market rose by 19,518 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 5.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Cleveland-Elyria, OH unemployment rate is 142 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 191,300; -1,400
- Transportation & Utilities: 186,900; -900
- Business Services: 163,100; +800
- Government: 131,400; -2,400
- Manufacturing: 119,000; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 110,000; +3,500
- Financial Services: 67,900; +400
- Other Jobs: 42,200; +600
- Construction, Mining: 41,900; +600
- IT & Development: 14,100; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.