Overall unemployment rate moved up to 6.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 5,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Cleveland-Elyria, OH market declined by 4,861 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 6.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Cleveland-Elyria, OH unemployment rate is 226 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 5.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 196,500; +3,300
- Transportation & Utilities: 184,900; -2,600
- Business Services: 154,800; +3,600
- Government: 132,300; +5,200
- Manufacturing: 118,600; +1,500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 87,400; +1,500
- Financial Services: 69,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 38,700; +400
- Construction, Mining: 36,000; -700
- IT & Development: 13,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.