Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 6,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC market rose by 7,658 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC unemployment rate is 22 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 5.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 274,500; +200
- Business Services: 234,200; +2,700
- Government: 155,600; +6,600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 142,200; -3,600
- Education & Healthcare: 136,600; +2,000
- Financial Services: 119,500; -1,200
- Manufacturing: 108,100; -1,200
- Construction, Mining: 73,800; -100
- Other Jobs: 48,400; +800
- IT & Development: 24,700; -500
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.