Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.0% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 2,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Charleston-North Charleston, SC market rose by 3,246 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.0%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Charleston-North Charleston, SC unemployment rate is 84 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 7.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 71,400; +600
- Transportation & Utilities: 69,400; +1,200
- Business Services: 61,600; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 55,300; +2,200
- Education & Healthcare: 43,500; +200
- Manufacturing: 28,800; +100
- Construction, Mining: 21,500; -200
- Financial Services: 17,000; +100
- Other Jobs: 15,600; +100
- IT & Development: 7,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.