Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.8% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Charleston-North Charleston, SC market declined by 1,201 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 2.8%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Charleston-North Charleston, SC unemployment rate is 99 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 6.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 70,200; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 69,800; +600
- Business Services: 64,500; +1,000
- Restaurants & Hotels: 54,500; -800
- Education & Healthcare: 44,000; +400
- Manufacturing: 29,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 22,100; +100
- Financial Services: 17,200; +200
- Other Jobs: 15,700; no change
- IT & Development: 7,900; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.