Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.4% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which gained 1,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Charleston-North Charleston, SC market rose by 3,382 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 2.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Charleston-North Charleston, SC unemployment rate is 94 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 5.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 70,600; +300
- Transportation & Utilities: 68,000; -100
- Business Services: 60,600; +1,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 52,000; +1,000
- Education & Healthcare: 43,000; -300
- Manufacturing: 28,600; +200
- Construction, Mining: 21,700; -200
- Financial Services: 16,700; +100
- Other Jobs: 15,200; +100
- IT & Development: 7,600; +200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.