Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Canton-Massillon, OH market rose by 7 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.0%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Canton-Massillon, OH unemployment rate is 60 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 10 bps above the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a negative.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in October versus prior month by -1.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.1% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 31,900; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 31,100; +400
- Manufacturing: 24,900; +200
- Government: 20,000; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 17,900; no change
- Business Services: 17,500; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.