Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Manufacturing, which gained 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Canton-Massillon, OH market declined by 1,183 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Canton-Massillon, OH unemployment rate is 36 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 170 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 7.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 31,700; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 30,300; -300
- Manufacturing: 25,100; +400
- Government: 19,500; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 18,900; +300
- Business Services: 17,300; +200
- Construction, Mining: 9,200; +400
- Other Jobs: 8,200; +100
- Financial Services: 7,500; -100
- IT & Development: 1,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.