Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 3,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT market declined by 2,378 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 4.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT unemployment rate is 68 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 75,900; +1,100
- Transportation & Utilities: 65,900; -200
- Business Services: 65,500; -600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 44,700; -2,700
- Government: 41,900; +3,200
- Financial Services: 35,100; -400
- Manufacturing: 29,700; -300
- Other Jobs: 16,300; -600
- Construction, Mining: 13,600; +200
- IT & Development: 11,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.