Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.1% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 1,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT market declined by 2,834 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.1%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT unemployment rate is 70 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 2.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 77,400; +1,600
- Transportation & Utilities: 66,500; +300
- Business Services: 65,200; -400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 44,600; +500
- Government: 42,200; +300
- Financial Services: 34,700; -300
- Manufacturing: 30,000; +300
- Other Jobs: 16,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 13,800; +200
- IT & Development: 12,000; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.