Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.3% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT market rose by 8,958 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 4.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT unemployment rate is 55 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 320 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 0.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 76,200; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 65,500; +200
- Business Services: 63,200; no change
- Government: 41,400; -300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 37,400; +1,000
- Financial Services: 34,800; -500
- Manufacturing: 29,100; +200
- Other Jobs: 16,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 12,500; +300
- IT & Development: 11,500; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.