Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 3,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT market rose by 3,678 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT unemployment rate is 36 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 270 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in June versus prior month by -0.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 75,300; -500
- Transportation & Utilities: 66,100; +600
- Business Services: 64,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 44,800; +3,100
- Government: 41,600; +100
- Financial Services: 36,200; +600
- Manufacturing: 29,600; +100
- Other Jobs: 16,900; +400
- Construction, Mining: 13,300; +200
- IT & Development: 11,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.