Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 2,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT market rose by 3,756 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 4.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT unemployment rate is 62 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 220 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 2.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 75,300; -400
- Transportation & Utilities: 66,200; no change
- Business Services: 65,300; +600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 47,700; +2,800
- Government: 40,100; -1,500
- Financial Services: 36,200; +100
- Manufacturing: 29,800; +200
- Other Jobs: 16,800; -100
- Construction, Mining: 13,200; no change
- IT & Development: 11,600; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.