Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 2,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT market declined by 5,263 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, CT unemployment rate is 46 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 300 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in April versus prior month by 1.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 75,700; -800
- Business Services: 64,900; +1,000
- Transportation & Utilities: 64,300; -900
- Government: 41,600; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 39,900; +2,600
- Financial Services: 35,000; +100
- Manufacturing: 29,300; +200
- Other Jobs: 16,300; +200
- Construction, Mining: 13,100; +600
- IT & Development: 11,500; -200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.