Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.7% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 11,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Boston-Cambridge-Nashua, MA-NH market rose by 20,608 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 3.7%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Boston-Cambridge-Nashua, MA-NH unemployment rate is 44 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 4.5% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 594,900; +11,100
- Business Services: 526,200; +4,600
- Transportation & Utilities: 403,600; -1,300
- Government: 307,600; +6,100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 221,700; +1,700
- Manufacturing: 181,100; +600
- Financial Services: 179,100; -300
- Construction, Mining: 120,000; -1,600
- Other Jobs: 94,000; +1,200
- IT & Development: 83,300; +1,000
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.