Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.0% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which gained 1,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Birmingham-Hoover, AL market rose by 273 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 3.0%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Birmingham-Hoover, AL unemployment rate is 84 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 7.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.7% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 113,700; +800
- Government: 87,100; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 77,300; +1,600
- Business Services: 71,300; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 52,100; +900
- Financial Services: 43,000; -100
- Manufacturing: 39,300; -100
- Construction, Mining: 33,000; +800
- Other Jobs: 31,600; +400
- IT & Development: 8,700; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.