Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 3.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 2,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Barnstable Town, MA market declined by 990 jobs in October and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Barnstable Town, MA unemployment rate is 0 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in October versus prior month by 7.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -2.4%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,900; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 18,800; -2,200
- Education & Healthcare: 16,900; -100
- Government: 16,000; +200
- Business Services: 10,300; +200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.